After indulging over the summer this is a great time to detox our bodies from impurities and lethargy caused by a poor diet. We love this cleanse because you can adapt it based on your preferences and it isn’t too restrictive, after doing it every year we have now seamlessly incorporated these concepts into our everyday eating habits to make it a lasting healthy lifestyle change.
There are 5 key principles of this diet:
1. Whole grain: Eliminate anything white from your plate, no white rice, no white bread, no white sugar instead choose the wholemeal options. Explore other grains like spelt, oats, millet, barley, quinoa, semolina, cracked wheat (dalia) and rye. The extra fiber will improve your digestion clearing away toxins from your bowels.
2. Vegetarian: Eliminate all meat, seafood and eggs, bringing an abundance of fresh fruits and vegetables instead. Eat more fruits during the day for it’s high sugar content and more green vegetables at night for it’s high iron content. A wide variety of fresh, seasonal fruits and vegetables will provide your body will all the vitamins and minerals that we need.
3. Unsaturated fats: Eliminate fried foods, instead choose natural unsaturated fats to incorporate in your meals, such as olive oil, coconut oil, ghee and avocados. Unsaturated fats help nourish the nerves and joints without causing cholesterol, moreover having these fat in your diet help boost the metabolic rate and accelerate weight loss.
4. Unprocessed foods: Eliminate all canned and packaged foods. Throw out the chips, candy, biscuits, doughnuts and instead snack on fruit and nuts. Bananas are great if you are feeling hungry and they are such a wholesome snack. The additives, preservatives, food colourings, hidden sugars all contribute to sluggish liver functioning making you feel tired and sleepy. As much as possible try to make your meals from scratch without relying on packets of sauces or ingredients to add flavor, after 2 weeks you will start to appreciate the natural flavors of different vegetables without excessive seasoning.
5. Hydration: Eliminate alcohol, carbonated drinks, artificial flavorings and replace them only with water, fresh fruit juice, herbal teas and milk. Try starting your day with a cup of hot lemon water instead of reaching for an espresso shot, during the day sip on peppermint or chamomile tea to help you feel relaxed. The secret it lots and lots of water, many of us suffer from adrenal fatigue which is due to dehydration, making sure you drink at least 8 glasses of water will help flush your kidneys of any toxins and improve your nervous system.
Initially you may feel hungry or slightly light headed but by the second week your energy levels should return to normal and by week 3 you will feel more energetic and much lighter. A rapid detox takes place in the first few weeks but as your system adjusts to the new diet you will feel your stomach shrink allowing a satiated feeling to accommodate for small frequent meals. After 6 weeks all the layers of your body will be affected feeling cleaner in your body and clearer in your mind.
Please follow the guidelines of your doctor before starting any detox or changing your diet.